Thursday 25 July 2013

Nagoya International Society

The Nagoya International Society meets twice a month for English discussions. Its members have various careers and educational backgrounds, but have at least one thing in common - they all speak and enjoy speaking fluent English. I was invited to join them for a social outing during my visit to the city.

We met at a French restaurant located in a small alley off an arcade near the Kokusai Center metro station. I arrived before the others. The restaurant was Japanese in style, with dark wooden panelling and low ceilings. The posters on the wall, music and menu were unmistakeably French. Presently the others arrived, making a group of 12, and we sat down to eat.

I spoke to Natsuko, who told me how she felt about the earthquake and resulting tsunami in 2011, possibly the worst natural disaster ever to hit Japan.

"I thought it was the end of Japan. The devastation was so bad that it felt like there was no way back for the country". This seemed striking to me as I responded to Natsuko asking me how the catastrophe was reported in the West. I had to think before replying that yes, it received a lot of coverage, and there was no doubt about how serious it was, but there was not a lot of worrying going on in the average Danish or British home at the time.

Distance is an important factor in how much the media drives any event into the consciousness of its target audience. Japan is far away. I admit that I have recently read more about petty squabbles over halal meat in Danish hospitals than about the election that took place in Japan last weekend - and I'm actually here at the moment.

The night with the International Society provided the chance to learn something about the Japanese political system from those voting in the elections. Satoru, a gentleman who spoke immaculate English and worked in Tehran in the 1980s, explained how current prime minister Shinzo Abe, who controls the lower house, was strong favourite to win the upper house elections, gaining a stronger hold over parliament. This situation has not occurred in Japan for several years. Abe appears to be gaining votes as the feeling is that strong leadership is required to get the country's stagnant economy moving. He also the advocate of a nationalistic rhetoric - something Satoru was less certain about.

"The prime minister wants to change the constitution, so that our military is no longer just a 'defence force' any more. It has been this way since the Second World War", he explained. "We have some territorial disputes with China and Korea. Maybe he could go to war with them, as he relies a lot on his nationalistic ticket. Even though many are worried about this, they will still vote for him because it seems a good option for the economy".
"Is it actually conceivable that Japan could go to war over the territorial disputes?"
"I think it's possible".

We also talked about more light-hearted subjects. The rumour spread that my birthday was the following day and I was treated to a rendition of "Happy Birthday To You" led by another society member, a fine baritone singer who also calls himself Mike. After the meal, we had a drink at a bar where the song was repeated. Other guests in the bar wished me a happy birthday. I felt slightly embarrassed.

We returned to the station through the Saturday night crowds in time for the last train home. It was just before midnight on the 20th of July.