Tuesday 13 August 2013

Confucian confusion

The ferry between Jeju Island and Wando cannot be booked less than 24 hours in advance. This, at least, is what I learnt when I presented myself at the ticket desk at the ferry terminal in Jeju-si and asked to buy a ticket.

It was fully booked, I was told. There was nothing that could be done. I asked whether I could take a ferry to nearby Mokpo as an alternative option. "Go to office 103" was the curt response from the young girl at the desk. Office 103 was closed. When I walked back to the ticket desk, it had also closed.

I returned to the market area of Dongmun in Jeju-si's downtown area and went into the market to buy some bananas. The elderly lady (or ajumma in local parlance) looked at me and then ignored me as I stood by the fruit. I decided to go straight to the bus terminal instead. This required taking a city bus across town first. I was the only person at the bus stop. The bus came around the corner, the driver spotted me, the bus drove straight past. I went back to the market, to a different fruit stall, where I was again ignored while some Korean customers were offered free samples of the fruit.

Korean culture has deep roots in Confucianism, a doctrine more than it is a religion, which sets out appropriate relationships in society. Whether between children and parents, brothers and sisters, masters and pupils, or employees and bosses, every one has a prescribed place in the hierarchy that must be respected. This comes naturally to those brought up in the culture - everyone knows, for example, who to bow to, when to bow and how low to bow.

Confucianism does not only have a bearing on everyday manners though. The amount of respect to be shown to strangers is also a key aspect. If you want to better yourself, you'd better treat your betters in the right way, so that you can one day move up a step in the hierarchy too.

This hierarchy is something that foreigners do not figure anywhere on, and when Confucianism is interpreted in a conservative manner it can lead to the brusque treatment I was able to observe one day on Jeju Island - otherwise known for its holiday atmosphere, sandy beaches, unique geology and, not least, friendly people.

I had spent my first day on Jeju on a rented bicycle, covering 40 kilometres along the north coast, black rock coastline and harbours on one side, misty hills leading towards the 1,950-metre peak of Jeju's dormant volcano Hallasan on the other. On the roadside, reeds and fish dried out in the sun. I arrived at a beach, where a young girl said "welcome" and asked where I was from as I chained up the bicycle. Being the rude foreigner I am, I didn't respond, not realising what she had said until it was too late.

I dived into the sea to wash off the sweat and dirt from the bike ride. As I did, it began to rain, which was wonderfully reminiscent of many a childhood family holiday in southwestern England. There was an unexpected sense of familiarity as I cycled back into town along a dual carriageway while evening traffic eased past in the refreshing drizzle.

After my second snub at the fruit market at Dongmun, I skulked, exasperated, back to my hostel, where the helpful receptionist knew my plans and was able to book my ferry ticket online. There was availability for tomorrow after all.